Thursday, April 12, 2007

New YouTube Iraq

There's a new YouTube section set up for the Mulitnational Forces in Iraq. It's www.youtube.com/MNFIraq. There you can watch actual combat movies, edited for security and offensiveness of course. I'm really not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it will allow ordinary people to see what the troops over there are seeing. But on the other hand, it could go the way of Reality TV and you could get people cheering for other people to die because they just can't grasp that this isn't a reality show, it IS reality. I'm reminded of Max Headroom. I guess I'm showing my age there too. In the 1980s, Max Headroom was a TV show (among other things) and it's vision of the future was several hundred TV channels and people were just glued to the TV and TV shows were everything. I feel like our society has started down that slope already.

No comments: