Thursday, January 10, 2008

Women Journalists in Yemen

I just added the Yemen Times to my links list and found an interesting article about female journalists meeting with the US Ambassador. The meeting was set up by the Women Journalists Forum and was specifically for the female journalists in Yemen.

Analysis: I think this is great. Yes, there are female journalists in Yemen. Just because they cover their faces doesn't mean they're backwards and ignorant. I was offended by a quote from the ambassador: "I realize how informed female journalists are and the clear understanding and concern for their country’s welfare they have." So, you thought because they were women they wouldn't be informed? I'm not sure if that's sexist or orientalist, or both. He'd be lynched if he said that to female journalists in the US. But since it's an Arab or Muslim country that makes it okay? This is part of the problem!

No comments: