Friday, February 15, 2008

More Muhammad Cartoons

A newspaper in Denmark has reprinted those cartoons that ticked off the Muslim world last year two years ago.

UPDATE: See this article about the issue making it onto Facebook.


Analysis
I firmly believe in freedom of speech. But I also believe that just because you CAN say something doesn't mean that you SHOULD (or print in this case). It wouldn't bother me quite so much except that I heard (no actual facts) that the newspaper in question had previously rejected a cartoon of Jesus. And in America there is a large religious group that would be extremely offended if they saw a cartoon of, say, Jesus in bed with another man. But when it's Muslims, we tell them they can't take a joke. I guess my final comment is that the cartoon shouldn't be printed, because it is SO offensive to a lot of Muslims. We should have enough sensitivity not to make tacky jokes.

No comments: