Thursday, August 26, 2010

Islamophobia? What Islamophobia?

A cabbie in New York City was stabbed, after being asked if he was a Muslim. But don't worry, all the lies and vehemence over the "Ground Zero Mosque" won't translate into anti-Muslim actions. There is no Islamophobia behind the curtain.

I'm old enough to remember the 1980s. I'm old enough to remember the IRA bombings in England. I remember staying at a hotel in London, and having to go through a metal detector to get into the lobby, because they had been bombed several times. What I do NOT remember is anyone saying "All Catholics are terrorists" or even "All Irish are terrorists." Yet, in America, Islam has been demonized.

I truly do not understand it. I could understand if really devout Christians had a problem with Hindus, because of the number of gods in Hinduism. But Christianity is a direct precursor to Islam. Jews, Christians, and Muslims, all worship the same God. But when the Bible uses harsh or violent language, it's being allegorical. When the Qu'ran does it, it's being literal, and Muslims are evil, violent extremists trying destroy The West. The hypocrisy and simple stupidity is mind-boggling.

No comments: