Saturday, January 7, 2012

Strait of Hormuz

You've probably seen the latest information about Iran threatening to close the Strait, which is already affecting oil prices.  Here's a good commentary by a professor.  And a guest commentary on Juan Cole's site.  And the nearby Gulf States are of course, worried.

I'm getting rather concerned myself.  Over the last year, Iran and the US have really seemed to be sniping at each other more than usual.  And now the US military is out of Iraq, freeing them up for another confrontation.  Originally, I was more worried about a war between Iran and Israel, but now I'm not sure where we are headed.  Let's hope that calmer heads prevail in all three countries.  It would not take much to start another war in the Middle East, and most of us don't want that.  I'm mainly worried about some of the US politicians on the right, who don't seem to understand that Iran is NOT Iraq.

 Courtesy of Wikimedia

No comments: