Sunday, October 17, 2010

Islamophobia in Germany

Things are just getting worse for Muslims in Europe.  Now the chancellor of Germany has come out and said that multiculturalism there has failed:
"This approach has failed, totally," she said, adding that immigrants should integrate and adopt Germany's culture and values.
"We feel tied to Christian values. Those who don't accept them don't have a place here," said the chancellor.
But then later:
While saying that the government needed to encourage the training of Muslim clerics in Germany, Merkel said "Islam is part of Germany", echoeing the recent comments of Wulff, a liberal voice in the party.

Wow.  I can't believe a European leader actually said something like that.  Now, I do believe in "integration."  But in my mind, that means that if you move to a new country and become a citizen there, you learn the language and the laws.  It doesn't mean you have to change your religion.  I admit that I don't know a lot about what it going on in Germany.  Most of what I have heard is about Muslim Turks moving there and the Germans not really liking it.  The Turkish prime minister did weigh in by asking Turkish immigrants to learn German.  But I'm still concerned, because Islamophobia seems to be taking off in Europe.  Well, at least Germany hasn't yet become the Netherlands.

No comments: